8 things worth remembering when everything goes wrong
Oftentimes things have to go wrong in order to go right. In fact, if the road you’re traveling is always easy, you’re likely going the wrong way. Some part of you knows this is true. Nevertheless, when life gets especially rough, it can be hard to remember.
Some people get through hard situations better than others. So what is their secret? Most of it has to do with attitude. Here are 8 things to remember when life gets rough:
1. What is, is: Buddha’s famous saying tells us: “It is your resistance to ‘what is’ that causes your suffering.” Think about that for a minute. It means that our suffering only occurs when we resist how things are. If you can change something, then take action! Change it! But if you can’t change it, then you have two choices: (1) either accept it and let go of the negativity, or (2) make yourself miserable by obsessing over it.
2. Where you are right now is a necessary step: Sometimes we avoid experiencing exactly where we are because we have developed a belief, based on our ideals, that it is not where we should be or want to be. But the truth is, where you are right now is exactly where you need to be to get to where you want to go tomorrow.
3. Other people’s negativity is not your problem: Be positive when negativity surrounds you. Smile when others try to bring you down. It’s an easy way to maintain your enthusiasm and focus. When other people treat you poorly, keep being you. Don’t ever let someone else’s bitterness change the person you are. You can’t take things too personally, even if it seems personal. Rarely do people do things because of you. They do things because of them.
4. There is no such thing as failure, only learning opportunities: You should just wipe the word “failure” right out of your vocabulary. All great people who have ever achieved anything have “failed” over and over. Take your so-called “failures” and learn something from them. Learn how to do it better next time.
5. Things will change (again) sooner than you think: You’re not going to avoid change. Change is the process of life itself. In fact, everything is changing every single minute of our lives. However good or bad a situation is now, it will change. That’s the one thing you can count on.
6. Being kind to yourself is the best medicine: Your self-worth has nothing to do with your craft, your calling or your success, and everything to do with how you treat yourself. Always be kind.
7. Let go of desire: Most people live with “attached mind.” What this means is that they attach themselves to a desire, and when they don’t get it, their emotions plummet into negativity. Instead, try to practice “detached mind.” That means that when you want something, you will still be happy whether you get it or not. Your emotions remain happy or neutral.
8. You are not a victim: You need to get out of your own way. You are only a “victim” of your own thoughts, words and actions. No one “does” something to you. You are the creator of your own experience. Take personal responsibility and realize that you can get out of your hard times. You just need to start with changing your thoughts and actions. Abandon your victim mentality and become victorious. From victim to VICTOR!