Here are 5 ways that positive thinking can change your life.
By being a happy person, by focusing on the good rather than the bad, on the positive rather than the negative, on what we want rather than what we don’t want, we are able to transform ourselves, our lives, and the lives of those around us.
Becoming a positive thinker isn't as simple as looking at a colorful "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster; it takes practice. Positive thinking is not to be confused with a belief that everything is OK or should be OK. It's about maintaining an inner and external balance even when there isn't.
Now for the good news: Once you equip yourself with the proper tools to transform negative thoughts into positive ones, you'll begin to notice a change, not only in yourself, but in other aspects of your life from relationships to even your physical appearance.
Here are 5 ways that positive thinking can change your life:
1. Boost self-confidence: We rarely stop to think how powerful our words are and the impact they can have on people’s lives. By beautifying our thoughts, by using kind words when we speak to ourselves or to others, by looking for opportunities instead of obstacles, by looking for the good in ourselves and others and by praising the good traits instead of the bad ones, we help boost our own self-esteem, self-confidence, and also the self-confidence of those with whom we interact with. By doing so, we help transform negative behaviors into positive ones and we go from being unhappy to being happy.
2. It creates a sound mind: Positive thinking affects your mental health. Depression and anxiety have been directly linked to negative thoughts, so it is definitely in your best interests to focus on the bright side. Repeating a mantra, an affirmation, or a choice over and over creates new pathways, which eventually become automatic. The new thoughts will run through your head like the old thoughts did, or like a popular song you've heard non stop. Automatic positive thoughts allow for a mental foundation that puts your mind at ease.
3. Awakening: You help people awaken by telling them how much you believe in them and by showing them how much you care about their needs and desires. So many of us live on auto pilot and by treating people differently and by praising instead of criticizing, you help awaken the giant within them. Once the soul awakens, the search begins and you can never go back. From then on out, you have a special longing that will never again let you linger in the lowlands of complacency and partial fulfillment.
4. No more stress: The main cause of stress is worry and negative thoughts. If we think about it further, we can understand that stress never solves problems, on the contrary, it can leave us helpless. Positive people overcome stress more easily. When you start to increase the quantity of good and positive thoughts, stress will gradually leave your life, until you won’t hear about it anymore.
5. You will notice the abundance of good things in your life: Sometimes people live their life without knowing how blessed they truly are, they take things for granted, and forget to be thankful. When people live their life complaining and mourning about their destiny without appreciating the things that they already have, then, they risk losing everything. Appreciation and gratitude, on the contrary, can bring more good things to be thankful for.
So, let’s be thankful and let’s count our blessings.
Latin American Post | Luisa Fernanda Báez
Copy edited by Susana Cicchetto