Your baby's crying can become distressing. Here we present some causes and techniques that will help you deal with this
Babies can cry for different reasons, because this is their way of expressing dissatisfaction or pain. However, listening to your baby cry can become a nightmare if you do not know why he does it and how to fix it. Here we tell you 5 reasons and 5 techniques that will help you comfort your baby.
Leer en español: ¿Por qué tu bebé llora y cómo calmarlo?
Why do babies cry?
1. Your baby is hungry or sleepy: According to Maternidad Fácil, if your baby starts making noises with his mouth or yawning, it means he is hungry and could start crying at any time. If, on the other hand, he is sleepy, the baby will begin to yawn and "tantrum". In both cases, get ahead of the situation. If he is already crying, feed him and put him at ease so he can rest. Here you should also keep in mind the feeding and nap times to which your baby is accustomed.
2. Your baby needs a diaper change: A dirty diaper is uncomfortable, so your baby will start crying to let you know he needs a new one. Check it and avoid burns.
3. Your baby has gases or his stomach hurts: Stomach discomfort is one of the most common causes of crying in babies, according to Maternidad Fácil. These discomforts can be due to different reasons such as having gases after taking their bottle or breastfeeding, changes in diet, lactose intolerance, and gastric reflux, among others. If it is gas, give small and gentle pats on your baby’s back to get it out. Massage his stomach to reduce pain if it is a colic. In case of lactose intolerance or gastric reflux, you should consult a professional who will advise you to treat these situations.
4. His teeth are coming out: The first teeth usually come out between 4 and 7 months. At this age, your baby can cry constantly because of the pain in his gums. To check that his first teeth are indeed coming out, Maternidad Fácil advises that you pass your finger (previously washed) on the gums; if you feel small lumps, you will have verified that he cries because of the teeth. Pampers recommends that you give him small pieces of cold fruit or put a cold cloth on his cheeks. You can also massage his gums gently. If the pain and crying continue, consult a doctor if the baby needs medicine to relieve his discomfort.
5. He is not in good health: Your baby may be going through some flu or health discomfort and will cry to let you know that he is not well. The most advisable thing is to take his temperature and consult a doctor.
If your baby keeps crying, you can use these techniques
- Carry and move him: The Child Care portal ensures that carrying your baby against your body so he can hear the beating of your heart will calm him down. Lulled him to relax while you hold him.
- Play with him and distract him: babies often get bored easily. In that case, you can change the activity, encourage him with fun games and try to make the activities different and not repetitive.
- Wrap him in a blanket and sing: According to Child Care, wrapping your baby in a tight blanket gives him the feeling of being back in the womb. This will help the baby fall asleep and relax. Listening to your voice will also relax him.
- Take him for a walk: If your baby has been in the same place all day, he is probably bored and needs to breathe another air. Take him out for a walk to a place where he can observe different people and activities.
- Bathe your baby: Changes in temperature and a long day make your baby tired and prevalent to cry. Bathing him with hot water will relax your baby and will also help him fall asleep.
LatinAmerican Post | Marcela Peñaloza
Translated from “¿Por qué tu bebé llora y cómo calmarlo?”
Listen this article