The cancellation of a high-level meeting between the two Koreas puts into question the hypothetical meeting between Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un in June
All efforts to achieve a much deeper approach between North Korea and South Korea had on Tuesday, May 15 first ups and downs. From Pyongyang, capital of the North Korean regime, a media from the country of the North confirmed the cancellation of the high-level conversation that both Koreas would hold on Wednesday 16.
It is worth to remember that on April 27 the president of North Korea, Kim Jong-un, crossed the demilitarized zone that divides the two Koreas to be received by his namesake of the South, Moon Jae-in. This meeting was the first since 2007, as well as one of the most special since the two countries of the Korean peninsula are in dispute since 68 years ago.
Why the surprise decision of North Korea?
During the past weekend, about 100 warplanes performed military exercises inside the peninsula. These drills were led by U.S. and South Korean armed forces, which is already an annual tradition involving about 1,500 soldiers of both nationalities.
Of course these maneuvers were not liked by North Korea, where they branded the actions as a "provocation", according to the central news agency of that country, KCNA.
“This exercise targeting us, which is being carried out across South Korea, is a flagrant challenge to the Panmunjom Declaration and an intentional military provocation running counter to the positive political development on the Korean Peninsula”, reported KCNA.
For its part, the US Department of State tried to excuse itself through its spokesperson Heather Nauert, who assured that the military activities were carried out on the basis "that Kim Jong-un had said previously that he understands the utility of the United States and the Republic of Korea continuing in its joint exercises".
With this decision, Kim Jong-un demonstrated once again his already known emotional instability, with acts that do not attest to what he may think or want in the future.
Due to this, it is not uncommon for experts in international politics to express their fear for the attitude that the North Korean leader could show before the scheduled meeting with the president of the United States, Donald Trump, the first one that would take place in a framework of peace and tolerance between both presidents.
On paper, the appointment will take place next June 12 in Singapore. However, the KCNA has infused some degree of bewilderment with the decision that Kim Jong-un may or may not take in the next few days, by transmitting a fragment of a communiqué that for some analysts may be taken as a threat of cancellation.
"The United States will also have to undertake careful deliberations about the fate of the planned North Korean-U.S. summit in light of this provocative military ruckus jointly conducted with the South Korean authorities", the North Korean agency said.
However, what is now most worrying to international authorities is the slap that represents for the Panmunjom Declaration the cancellation of the high-level meeting between the two Koreas, a matter that was discussed at the last summit between Kim Jong-un and Moon Jae-in. This treaty between the countries of the peninsula is the first step for the denuclearization of the area, as well as the union between these nations and allowing the socio-economic participation of the United States and China in their business.
Latin American Post | Christopher Ramírez Hernández
Translated from "Corea del Norte muestra su 'bipolaridad' al suspender la reunión con Corea del Sur"