The National Basketball Association of the United States is committed to protect the environment. Find out how it does it
On June 6, 1946 the Basketball Association of America (BAA) was founded and later became known as the NBA. Since then, the United States and the world have enjoyed exciting basketball games. Some of the most remembered players in this league are Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and Larry Bird. Currently, many are followers of LeBron James and the NBA has 30 teams that belong to the Eastern Conference and the Western Conference.
Leer en español: ¿Qué hace la NBA para cuidar el medio ambiente?
This competition is followed worldwide and arouses enthusiasm in millions of fans in different countries. For this reason, the NBA - aware of the impact it generates - allied with Green Sport Alliance to raise awareness about the protection of the environment. This organization takes advantage of the cultural and social influence of sport to promote sustainable and healthy communities.
The Green Sport Alliance says that "since February 2010, the Alliance has brought together facility operators, sports team executives, and environmental scientists to exchange information on best practices and develop solutions to their environmental challenges that are cost-competitive and innovative."
This alliance between the two organizations is known as NBA Green, which is part of the dependencies of the association to contribute to society. As part of this partnership, the NBA performs different activities such as:
- All NBA All-Star events use 100% renewable energy
- The NBA invites to use public transport, walk, and use the bicycle
- Some of the NBA arenas use water efficient fixtures to reduce the number of gallons used when flushing toilets and using sinks. The organization invites the public to install these accessories in their homes, as they can save 20,000 gallons of water per year in a family of 4 people
- In addition to the implementation of accessories to reduce the use of water, 8 arenas of the NBA have installed solar panels. Also, several NBA facilities have efficient lighting that reduces energy use by 50%
- The NBA and its teams recycle different materials such as paper, cardboard, electronic waste, among others
To generate even more impact, NBA Green has 3 tips on its page for the followers of this association to implement in their daily lives and in their homes.
1. Recycle : Use different cans to separate the materials and recycle different items such as paper, cardboard, aluminum, etc.
2. Reduce : Reduce the expenditure of water, energy, and paper in simple actions. For example, in the case of water, you should use the washing machine only when it is full, take faster showers, mop the sidewalks and streets instead of using the hose.
It may interest you: Space debris: This is the satellite that could clean the space
In terms of energy savings, you can buy products such as energy saving light bulbs, do not use more than one refrigerator in your home, and disconnect appliances when you do not use them.
Finally, in terms of reducing the use of paper you can cancel the subscription to advertising that does not interest you, do not print all the mails you receive, and adjust the settings of your printer to print on both sides of the paper.
3. Reuse : You can give a second use to several elements that at first glance seem disposable. For example, if you have clothes that you no longer use, you can donate them to people who need them. Also, you can stop using unnecessary items such as straws or napkins when you buy takeouts.
What about you, what do you do to take care of the environment?
LatinAmerican Post | Marcela Peñaloza
Translated from “¿Qué hace la NBA para cuidar el medio ambiente?”
Listen this article