Tutunendo, a paradise in Choco

Listen this article

This spa and tourist resort of Chocó is characterized by its rivers of pure water and the different waterfalls that run through its waters

Tutunendo, a paradise in Choco

A little history

Its name of Embera origin means 'river of scents'. It is also an important tourist destination in the department of Chocó, sheltered by abundant rainforest and crystal clear waters, which is located northwest of Quibdó, capital of the department, at a distance of 17 km by car and three hours by water on the Neguá River.

Leer en español: Tutunendo, un paraíso chocoano

It has a population of 4,000 inhabitants, 70% of whom are Afro-Colombian and the remaining 30% of the population are indigenous groups belonging to the Embera and Cunas. The latter inhabit the rivers Ichó, Tutunendo, Neguá and populations such as Cara de Perro, Guadalupe, Morodó, Playa Alta and el Veintiuno are indigenous reserves.

Tourist places

One of its main tourist attractions is the Tutunendo river. These crystalline waters form a green-blue mirror, which allow the sun's rays to reflect on them; its water is fresh and it is possible to navigate it in a canoe. This space is visited with great frequency by natives and tourists. In December, many Choco families often gather in this river to enjoy a great pot ride, while the little ones venture to swim in its magical waters.

In the center of this river, it is possible to observe the famous 'Piedra del Diablo' (Devil's stone), which is a large rock inside the river. According to legend, on the night of Good Friday, when the clock strikes 12 o'clock, the rock breaks in half and inside it appears a golden chicken with its seven golden chickens.

Read also: Adrenaline and fun! The best amusement parks in Latin America

Some visitors go up there to appreciate the magic that brings these waters, others prefer to rest and some riskier prefer to jump in the company of family or friends from this stone into the crystal clear waters of the river and do swimming competitions.

Another of its important tourist centers is Playa Pepa, a place that has a panoramic view of the space in which Paloquemao is located, a name given to a waterfall that is approximately four minutes away in the jungle. Although not much sun goes into it, it is surrounded by a great variety of fauna and flora characteristic of the region.


A post shared by Tutunendo (@tutunendochoco) on


On the other hand, Chaparraidó has a cascade of seven meters high, which forms a natural pool in which you can see fish, birds, and part of the flora of Chocó.

Its biodiversity and the diversity of its crystalline waters make Tutunendo one of the favorite destinations for both natives and visitors. Some consider that its waters have healing powers, others are only willing to enjoy its fauna and flora. Regardless of the reason, this is a destination that is worth knowing.


LatinAmerican Post | Daniela Córdoba

Translated from "Tutunendo, un paraíso chocoano"

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button