What measures can be taken from home to favor our ozone layer?.
The Woman Post | María Carolina Rivero
Listen to this article
Currently, the ozone layer has a thickness of 10 to 20 kilometers that encloses the entire Earth. This mantle acts as a filter against ultraviolet radiation caused by the sun. That is why ozone is very sensitive and is destroyed by the presence of chlorine or bromine atoms.
A recent research paper published in the journal PNAS called "The Effects of the Ocean on Life and Atmospheric Emissions of CFC-11" by Peidong Wang. It reveals that bodies of water absorb and release atmospheric CFC-11 and only depend on time. The data collected suggest that CFC-11 is soluble in water, consequently, the sea has absorbed between 5 and 10% of CFC-11 from the atmosphere.
On the other hand, 90% of the emissions are located in the interhemispheric and quickly mix the large concentrations of CFC-11. In addition, the absorption of CFC-11 is 8.8% in the global ocean and is formed through the flow of air and sea. That is why the growing global network is expected to reverse direction by 2075.
What Products Should Be Avoided To Protect the Ozone Layer?
Those responsible for the destruction of the ozone layer are ChloroFluoroCarbon (CFC) compounds, according to a report dubbed "Ozone and Climate Changes in the light of the Montreal Protocol" by Bruhl. But do you know of any products that contain this substance? It is very easy for you to notice that you implement some in your daily life.
-Cold production: The refrigeration industry, domestic refrigerators, and air conditioning are producers of this compound. These systems can produce low temperatures in a controlled manner but require heat sources, based on chemicals.
-Plastics production: The polyurethane and polystyrene industry are among the products that considerably affect the ozone layer because it emits gases. These materials are used in food packaging, textiles, school supplies, cosmetics, among others.
-Production of aerosols: These products can be food, cosmetics, insecticides, and paints. In addition, there are medicines and air fresheners.
-Production of solvents: They are usually implemented in cleaning electronic elements; however, there are other industrial solvents that have become essential for the production chain.
-Massive fruit production: Some countries use the felling of thousands of hectares for the planting of fruits; this generates a severe impact on the ozone layer because they require a large number of pesticides.
Tips You Should Keep in Mind To Protect the Ozone Layer
The Montreal Protocol agreement was signed on 16 September with the aim of identifying substances that deplete the layer. The pact regulates the manufacture and use of 100 chemicals. This action has caused ozone to recover slowly and studies show that the opening that has been caused for years has been decreased. That is why The Woman Post gives you some tips for everyone to collaborate in its restoration.
1. Use your vehicle on important occasions: Cars damage the ozone layer, so you can only use it in an emergency. Meanwhile, walk or implement the bicycle, even take the collective transport.
2. Avoid the use of fumigants in agriculture: They are listed as responsible for the destruction of the ozone layer. Although so far it has been reduced, its use has not been prohibited.
3. Use natural products for cleaning your home: This is the most harmful not only to the ozone layer, even to humans. Implement vinegar or baking soda, there are even products that are made with vegetable raw materials and are based on respect for the environment.
4. Purchase local products: This way you avoid traveling in vehicles and you can get them fresher.
5. Get involved: The ability of people to propose improvements, talks, awareness workshops, are significant to create knowledge in our young people.